My Writing

Some tales from my past, some weird ideas, some stories which just pop into my head.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Car Trouble

          As I was driving home from work my cell phone rang.  When I answered it was my wife, Ann.  She sounded sort of tense and frustrated.  Worriedly I asked her what was wrong.  She told me, “Sally’s car broke again, and she is driving home from taking Matthew to the Doctor, and she is lost in Oklahoma City”.  I asked, “Where is she”.  Ann then told me she was somewhere in Oklahoma City and didn’t know how to get home.  She asked, “Would you please call her”.

          With some effort, I was driving in traffic; I managed to call Sally on her cell phone.  I asked her what is wrong with your car.  She explained that it “won’t shift again”.  To digress a moment and explain.  Sally has had a really bad time with her car.  Twice now one of the computer sensors has become defective.  When this happens the car will not shift out of low gear and it costs a considerable sum of money to get it repaired.  I think the first time the defective part was called the Speed In/Out sensor, and I can’t remember the name of the failed part the second time.  The only way to get the car home or to the shop is to drive it about 25 MPH in low gear.  She has had so much trouble with the car that she was not surprised that it was ‘broke’ again, just sad and depressed about it, and was driving home from Northwest Oklahoma City at very low speed staying on the slower streets.

          I asked her where she was and why she was lost.  She told me that she was at 15th and South Robinson, but that she thought she could find her way home.  I told her to drive carefully, and that we should take her car to the shop and have it repaired.

          I drove on home.  A few minutes later she called home and said she had found her way to Santa Fe Avenue.

          As there was not much I could do about the situation, I sat down in my chair to begin my afternoon nap.  I thought, though, that I should say a prayer that the Lord would help Sally with her car.  I asked the Holy Spirit to actually fix whatever was wrong with it.  Almost immediately I received the answer, “I already have”.

          After another short period Sally called again.  This time she said, “The car is OK now.  Should I come on home, or just go back to work”?  I told her to go on back to work,

          About 4:30 Sally came in from work.  I asked her how her car was driving now.  She told her Mother and me, “I found out what was wrong with the car”.  “What was it”, I asked.  With a red face she explained that she had discovered that she had the car in low gear, and that there was nothing wrong with it.  She had just assumed that it had broken again.

          My assumption is that the Holy Spirit, in answer to my prayer, had caused Sally to glance down and see that the transmission lever was in the wrong selection.

So what we need is some intercession.  We need Sally’s Guardian Angel to pay much closer attention, and to jog her memory when she gets into these kinds of situations.  Do you suppose maybe Sally has a blonde guardian Angel?  I wonder if we could get an exchange; perhaps an Angel who is more car smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment